The balls in this curry are squid balls made from squid and rice flour. You don't have to make them yourself if you don't want to, you can buy them in Asian supermarkets. Just look in the freezer section. The other main ingredient is the celery greens, these are the leaves of the celery, rather than the stalks.
Ingredients Squid Balls
200 gms Squid
2 Tablspoons Wheat Flour
1 Tablespoons Salt
50 gms Crushed Ice
Preparation Squid Balls
1. Put a pan of water onto boil
2. Clean the squid, for this recipe we just want the flesh. Remove the eye, the beak and plate and chop the flesh into small pieces.
3. Put the pieces into a food processor and blend with the salt and flour until smooth. Add the crushed ice, and continue blending. What you want is a fine mixture of ice, squid and flour.
4. Take spoonfuls of the mixture and drop them into the boiling water. You can make round balls by using two teaspoons and scraping the mixture between the two spoons.
5. The ball will swell up and float once cooked, when that happens remove it from the boiling water and drop into the cool water.
6. During the cooking the ice melts and leaves a ball with a spongy texture.
Ingredients for Curry
2 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste
250 ml Coconut Milk
50 ml Water
1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
30 gms Chopped Celery Greens
2 Tablespoons Oil
Preparation for Curry
1. In a frying pan, heat the oil until it is hot, then add the coconut milk and stir.
2. Add the red curry paste and mix well, bring the curry mixture to the boil.
3. Cut the squid balls into halves, add to the curry mix and bring back to the boil, cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add the fish sauce, sugar, celery and fry for 30 seconds longer.
5. Mix in the chopped celery greens, and remove from the heat.
Thai Fragrant Rice