This dessert is a little modern and a little rich for my tastes, but it's a popular dish when I cook it. It is bananas wrapped in spring roll paper, fried, and served with a chocolate sauce. The spring roll pasty gives it a crunch, the bananas fry down to be soft and sweet and the chocolate sauce adds the bitter rich chocolate taste.
The best banana to use is the small Thai dessert banana, they are round and easy to roll, yet also small enough to cook through. If you can't get those, you can cut a larger banana into quarters and make one spring roll from each quarter. (Cut it length wise then across).
You use larger bananas but they won't cook through to the middle.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
3 Medium Bananas, or 8 Small Thai Bananas
8 Spring Roll Papers
100 gms Plain Chocolate Chips
50 ml Milk
1. Peel, top and tail the bananas.
2. Roll up in a spring roll paper, as you roll, fold up the edges to seal the ends.
3. Wet the final edge of the spring roll paper to help it stick together.
4. In a low heat (170 degrees) oil, fry them gently until golden brown.
5. In a small saucepan, warm the milk and chocolate chips until they melt, and stir to mix. Do not let it boil, you just want it to melt!
6. Drain the banana spring rolls on paper and serve hot with the melted chocolate.