This filled pancake has slices of medium young coconut meat and toasted black sesame seeds to give it a nutty crunch. The best type of coconut is medium young, not young coconut, not old, but middling, if you can't get hold of this, use young. For this recipe either use a ready made bicarbonate raising agent, or pure bicarbonate of soda and a squeeze of lemon to start it fizzing.
120 gms Wheat Flour
120 gms Rice Flour
1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate Raising Agent
1 Tablespoon Lime or Lemon juice, optional
40 gms Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
220 ml Water
Butter or Oil for Frying
Ingredients for Filling
Toasted Black Sesame Seeds
1. Mix the 2 flours together, add the bicarbonate, lime juice, sugar, water and blend until mixed and smooth. You want a medium thick pancake mix for this.
2. Leave for 30 minutes to give the bicarbonate chance to bubble.
3. Add salt and mix again.
4. Heat a pan and add a little oil or butter.
5. Fry the pancake on one side only, cover it with a lid, the steam will cook the top aswell.
6. Once the top has cooked, add the coconut, sugar and sesame seeds, then fold it over and serve.