The wrapper on these pork balls in made from bean curd, the inside inside is pork, with a little shrimp and crab added to broaden the flavours. You can see below how the balls are made, a sausage of the mixture is wrapped in the bean curd sheet and tied with string. The string is steamed, then cut and finally fried.
50 gms Crab Meat Minced
50 gms Shrimps Meat Minced
200 gms Pork Mince With Fat
20 gms Chopped Spring Onion
10 gms Chopped Garlic
10 gms Coriander Root
1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Wheat Flour
1 Tablespoon Cassava Starch Flour
1 Tablespoon White Wine
1 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
4-5 Sheets Bean Curd
Oil for Deep Frying
1. In a food processor, blend all three meats together, add the spring onions, garlic coriander root, black pepper, salt, flour, cassava starch, white wine, eggs and light soy together and blend some more. For this you want a fairly course mixture.
2. Soak the bean curd sheets in water for 30 seconds.
3. Lay out the sheet, spoon the pork mixture along the short side slightly in from the edge.
4. Roll up the sheet, you want the sheet several layers thick so that it doesn't break.
5. Tie pieces of string at regular lengths to form balls, you can see this in the photograph.
6. Steam for 10 minutes, remove and leave so that any water drains off.
7. Cut off the string, and cut into the balls.
8. Heat the oil to 180 degrees celsius (medium hot). Fry the balls until they go brown and crisp.