It's nice to eat something crunchy when having a few drinks with friends, these dishes are called 'gop-gam' dishes, and since they're to be served with alcohol, the flavour are stronger, less subtle, and you can pad an expensive ingredient like prawns with cheap ingredients like flour and pastry. The mix in this is similar to the prawn ball mix I did a few days ago, but the seasoning is stronger and a lot of the subtlety isn't needed.
Ideally you should tie these parcels with spring onions before frying to keep the ingredients inside, but if you fry them carefully, you an skip this part. You can see both types in the photograph at the top, tied and untied.
6 Medium Shrimp
50 gms Fatty Pork Mince
1/2 White of Small Egg
3 Tablespoons All Purpose Wheat Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
20 Wonton Skins (the Chinese square pastry pieces)
2 Spring Onions (Optional)
1. Shell the shrimp and cut out the black thread gut by cutting along the back and pulling it out,.
2. Into a blender, place the shrimp meat, the egg white, flour, fatty pork mince, salt, and pepper and blend till smooth.
3. Spoon a little into the center of each wonton skin, not too much, they need to cook when fried.
4. Fold them up into a parcel.
5. Blanch the spring onions in hot water to soften them, take strands of the onion and tie the parcels as shown below. You can skip this if you're careful when frying them, they're to stop the contents spilling out.
6. Heat oil to medium heat (180 Celsius) in a deep frying pan.
7. Drop them in upright, using chopsticks you can hold them under just to brown the top.
8. Remove them once browned, and drain on kitchen paper.
9 Serve with chillie sauce.