Tamarind, especially unripe tamarind makes an excellent preserve. It has a very sour flavour, if you reduce the sugar you get a very tart marmalade-like preserve, but here I've included enough sugar to bring it to sweetness. Add the pinch of salt, it improves the flavour enormously.
180 gms Sour Tamarind (Remove the seeds & skin)
100 gms Sugar
5-6 Tablespoons Water
A Pinch of Salt
1. Mix all the ingredients together and blend it until smooth.
2. Place a plate in the freezer, this will be used to test the jam.
3. Put it in a saucepan, and bring to the boil, stirring and boiling to reduce the liquid.
4. We want a thick jam, to check if it's thick enough, spoon a little onto the cold plate straight from the freezer. Let it cool (or put it back in the freezer for a few minutes). Push it with your finger to make sure it's the right consistency.
5. Spoon it into a jar and leave to cool.