A quick tip for keeping fresh tofu, let it dry, cut it into large cubes and deep fry it. Like that it can be kept in the fridge for a month or so. This recipe uses fried tofu chunks as an extender, to make the chicken go further and reduce the meat content of the dish. It is a pan fried chicken dish with wine added to give it a festive taste.
5-6 Chicken Wings
100 gms Fried Tofu
3-4 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Butter
240 ml Red Wine
6 Tablespoons Light Soya Sauce
2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce
Pinch of Pepper
Pinch of Sugar
5 gms Basil Leaves for Garnish
1. Peel and chop the garlic finely. Fry in a large frying pan with a little butter.
2. Clean and fry the chicken wings just to lightly brown them.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients except the basil.
4. Add a little extra water if necessary to ensure the ingredients can cook.
5. Bring to the boil, cover, then turn down to a simmer.
6. Simmer off 2/3rds of the liquid and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the dish is done. If you need to cook more, add more water. or the size of chicken wings I buy, it takes around 30-40 minutes to cook.
7. Garnish with the basil.