This is a rich Thai dish, duck in a sweet sauce made from sugar with sour tamarind water to balance the sweetness. The skin of the duck is almost candied when it's cooked, but despite this the dish isn't very sweet. In Thailand this is always served with rice, duck is expensive, rice is cheap and we eat lots of rice and a little duck unlike the photograph!
Ingredients for 2 People
200 gms Duck Breast
1 Tablespoon Honey
2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Ground Ginger
1. Clean the duck and dry the skin with kitchen paper. Put it into a plastic freezer bag - we will use this bag to coat and marinade the duck.
2. Put the light soy sauce, oyster sauce, ginger and honey into the bag.
3. Shake the bag to mix the ingredients and coat the duck with the sauces.
4. Marinade in the fridge for 5-8 hours.
5. Grill slowly for 30 minutes turning several times, to cook and brown the duck. Alternatively you can also oven roast it, again until completely cooked.
Ingredients for Duck Sauce
2 Tablespoons Tamarind Water
2 Tablespoons Palm Sugar
1 Teaspoon Dark Soy Sauce
1 Chicken Stock Cube
2 Teaspoons Corn Flour
120 ml Water
Preparation for Sauce
1. Boil the water, add stock cube and dissolve it in the boiling water.
2. Add the tamarinf water, palm sugar and dark soy sauce.
3. Mix the corn flour with a little water and add to the sauce.
4. Bring back to the boil, stirring (the corn flour will thicken the sauce).
Thai Fragrant Rice