Another Thai side dish, this is a minced fish sauce used to add flavour the rice. The fish used is Patu, which is a Thai fish with a taste like mackerel.
3 Patu Fish
5 Tablespoons Old Fish Sauce
600 ml Water
2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
5 Bird Chillies
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Red Small Onions
1 Tablespoon Chopped Spring Onion
1 Tablespoon Chopped Coriander Leaves
1 Tablespoon Chopped Mint Leaves
1. Mix the old fish and water in a pot and heat until it is boiling. The smell is quite strong, you may with to open windows. Add the patu, and boil for 5 minutes.
2. Grill the garlic, chillies and red onions until cooked. Then pound in a Thai mortar to break them up.
3. Remove the meat of the fish from the bones, and add the meat to the mortar. Try not to take any of the bones.
4. Pound until it is well mixed.
5. Add lime juice, chopped spring onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves and serve.