The sourness in this dish comes from the tamarind. In the back of the photograph you can see green vegetables, lettuce, mint, coriander leaves and other green vegetables. It's normal to eat this dish with a big mass of fresh salad vegetables like this.
Ingredients for Pork Balls
250 gms Pork Mince
1 Tablespoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoons White Pepper
2 Tablespoons Wheat Flour
100 gms Crushed Ice
Hand Blender or Food Processor
Water for Boiling
Preparation for Pork Balls
1. Put the pork mince into the blender, add salt, white pepper and blend together for a few seconds. Add the crushed ice, tablespoon by tablespoon, and blend for a few seconds each time to mix it in.
2. Place a saucepan full of water onto boil.
3. Take a spoonful of the pork and smooth it out into a ball. I oil the palms of my hands and make the balls by hand, but you can also pass them between two teaspoons to make them round.
4. Drop the balls into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute. Then remove them and drop them into cold water. Finally remove them and leave to dry on a plate.
5. Ideally leave them overnight in the fridge, they will firm up.
6. Take the pork balls and skewer them on wooden skewers, the ideal method for cooking is a charcoal barbecue grill, but an oven grill or hot dry frying pan can also be used. You should cook the balls until brown, turn them repeatedly to cook evenly.
7. Place them on a plate.
Ingredients for Tamarind Sauce
300 ml Water
20 gms Tamarind Pulp
100 gms Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Salt
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoons Chopped or Crushed Peanut
2 Tablespoons Chopped Coriander Leaves
1 Tablespoons Corn Flour
Preparation for Tamarind Sauce
1. Boil the water with the tamarind pulp, remove the tamarind pulp and squeeze out any juice it still has by pressing it inside a fine sieve, so that the juice goes back into the pan.
2. Add the brown sugar, salt and fish sauce and boil for 3 minutes.
3. Mix the corn flour with 3 tablespoons of water and stir into the saucepan. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
4. Add the crushed peanuts and chopped coriander leaves and serve immediately.