These are potato balls filled with seafood, breaded and deep fried. Eaten either as a side dish or as a snack, they're not at all spicy, so they're perfect for a children's menu. We eat them with sweet chilli sauce, but you may prefer ketchup or mustard.
Ingredients for 3 People
3 Large Potatoes
30 gms Shrimp Meat
30 gms Crab Meat
20 gms Chopped Onion
10 gms Chopped Carrot
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon White Pepper
40 gms Flour
1 Eggs (Whipped)
50 gms Bread Crumbs
Oil for frying
1. Clean the shrimp, cut down the back of the shrimp and remove the black thread (the gut).
2. Peel the potatoes, cut them in half and boil them in water until cooked.
3. Mash the potatoes, and add salt to taste. (Note, do not add butter or milk!)
4. Peel and boil the carrots until cooked. Then chop the cooked carrots into fine pieces.
5. Chop the shrimp and crab meat and add the carrots, chopped onion, salt and white pepper. This will form the filling.
6. Each ball has the seafood mix in the center, then a layer of potato, and egg and breadcrumbs around the outside.
7. Prepare a bowl with the beaten egg, a bowl with flour, and a bowl with breadcrumbs.
8. Take a lump of potatoes, and form a 3cm diameter ball of potato in your hand.
9. Flatten the potato into a disc.
10. Spoon some of the filling into the center, and wrap the potato around the filling. Roll it in the palm of your hand to make a ball again.
11. Dip the ball in the flour to cover it. Then dip it in the egg, again make sure its completely covered with egg, then dip it in breadcrumbs. This mixture will make about 10 balls.
12. Preheat a deep fryer to hot (190 degrees celsius) and drop the balls into the hot oil to cook for 5-10 minutes. They are cooked when the breadcrumbs are golden.
Sweet Chilli Sauce