Inside the breadcrumbs there are herbs such as lemon grass and fish meat. It's not really a fish cake, the dominant flavour is the citrus taste from the lemon grass. As you can see from the photograph, I normally eat it with sweet chilli sauce.
200 gms Fish Meat
2 Tablespoons Chopped Lemon Grass
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Chopped Coriander Root (Or Leaf)
2 Tablespoons Corn Flour
100 gms Breadcrumbs
Oil for Deep Frying
1. Chop the fish meat into bite sized pieces then clean and dry them.
2. Pound the garlic with the black peppercorns and chopped coriander until they are finely ground. Add this mix to the fish pieces.
3. Also add the fish sauce, together with the light soy sauce and lemon grass. Leave to marinade for 15 minutes.
4. Put the corn flour and egg and whip together.
5. Heat the oil to 180 degrees Celcium.
6. Add the fish pieces to the egg mix to coat it, dip it in the breadcrumbs.
7. Drop the breaded fish into the hot oil and cook until brown.
8. Serve with sweet chilli dipping sauce.
Sweet Chilli sauce
Thai Fragrant Rice