In Thailand it's common to eat bamboo with spicy chilli sauce on its own. This is a picnic version of that dish, with the spiciness inside the roll itself coming from Nam Prick Pa Yang paste. It is intended to be part of this picnic box.
200 gms Precooked Fragrant Rice
2 Tablespoons Nam Prick Pa Yang
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Tablespoons Oil
2-4 Seaweed Paper
2-4 Boiled Bamboo (Available in Tins)
1. Finely chop the garlic, fry in a frying pan with the oil.
2. Add the Nam Prick paste and stir for a few seconds.
3. Add the cooked rice, fish sauce and sugar and stir fry until all the ingredients are well mixed, then remove from the heat.
4. Spread over the seaweed paper.
5. Along one edge lay out bamboo pieces, if the bamboo is too thick, the cut it in half lengthwise.
6. Roll up the seaweed paper tightly, slice into bite sized pieces and add them to your picnic box.