The filling for these sweets is green soya beans boiled with sugar. The outer pastry is made with pork fat oil for extra flavour (you can use vegetable oil if you don't fancy pork oil in a sweet!). To make pork fat oil (pork lard), take pork with plenty of fat, chop it finely and fry it slowly to release as much oil as possible.
The pastry is made by rolling out 2 layers of pastry, one layer has plenty of the oil in it, the other layer is dryer. When combined and rolled out they form tiny layers that make the pastry more delicate. Below you can see the two pastry doughs waiting to be rolled up.
Ingredients for 1st Pastry Layer
100 gms Wheat Flour
3 Tablespoons Pork Lard
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Sugar
30 ml Cool Water
Ingredients for 2nd Pastry Layer
50 gms Wheat Flour
2 1/2 Tablespoons Pork Oil
5 Tablespoons Cool Water
Ingredients for Filling
100 gms Soya Bean
100 gms Sugar
4 Tablespoons Oil
Ingredients for Glazing
1 Egg Yolk
1 Tablespoon water
Preparation of Filling
1. Soak the soya beans in warm water for 6-8 hour. Then steam them for 15 minutes.
2. Put the beans into a blender and blend until fine. Add the sugar and continue blending until it's all well mixed. You can also pulp them in a Thai mortar but it takes a bit more work.
3. Transfer the blended beans & sugar into a saucepan and heat them over a low heat. Stir them until they thicken to a paste, then leave to cool.
4. This is your filling.
Preparation of Pastry
1. Start by preparing the first layer of pastry.
2. Mix the flour, pork oil, salt and sugar and some of the cold water to form a dough. Only add just enough water to form the dough.
3. Knead it until it is smooth.
4. Cut it into 10 equal pieces.
5. Now the second layer of pastry.
6. Mix the flour, pork oil and some of the water to form a dough. As before you only want to add enough water to make the dough.
7. Cut that dough into 10 equal pieces too.
8. Take a ball of the 1st pastry and roll it into a disc.
9. Place a ball of the 2nd pastry in the middle, see the photograph for examples of what it should look like.
10. Fold up the edges into a ball.
11. Roll the ball into a flat long strip.
12. Roll up the strip, turn it through 90 degrees and roll it to a flat strip again.
13. Roll it up again.
14. Cut into 3 equal pieces. At the end you should have 30 small balls of pastry.
Final Preparation & Glazing
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Oil a baking tray-
3. Roll the small pastry balls into circular discs.
4. Add a spoonful of the soya filling.
5. Fold up the edges and tuck them underneath, as you place them on the baking tray.
6. Mix the egg yolk with a tablespoon water and glaze the top of the sweets with it.
7. Bake for 30 minutes until they just start to go brown.
8. Phew! You've finished.