Another Thai 'candy' that's more like a snack than a sweet. This one is made with a pureé of yellow soya bean and sugar. When I was a child I would spend my money on these sweets whenever I could. When you buy these in Thailand they have a pretty pattern stamped into the top, but you can also make them the same way I do, in an ice-cube tray. You will need either yellow soya beans for this, or green soya beans. If you have green soya beans, soak them in warm water overnight and peel them in the morning.
100 gms Green Soya Beans
500 ml Warm Water
300 gms Sugar
300 ml Coconut Milk
50 gms Grated Coconut
1. Soak the soya beans in warm water overnight.
2. Remove the green skins from the soya (you can simply squeeze them between your fingers to do this) then steam for 15 minutes.
3. In a blender, take the soya beans, add the sugar and coconut and blend until smooth.
4. Place it in a saucepan and cook over a low heat until it becomes very thick.
5. Form into cubes, leave to cool in the fridge and they're ready to eat. I use a ice-cube tray dusted with icing sugar for mine.