What's you're favorite fresh mushroom? If your answer is 'white cap mushrooms', then please move on to the next recipe - this recipe isn't for you! This is a soup made from fresh flavour mushrooms, that are toasted, then pounded in a Thai mortar to bring out the flavours, and is usually eaten with sticky rice. I used rovellons, they have a soft texture that firms up when toasted, making them ideal.
Ingredients for 2 People
70 gms Fresh Mushroom (Rovellons, Shitake, Porcini...)
1 Small Red Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Toasted Sticky Rice
1 Tablespoon Chopped Coriander Leaves
1 Tablespoon Chopped Spring Onions
1. Sliced the mushrooms, garlic, the small red onion and chop the chillies into halves and mix together.
2. Place the mix onto aluminium foil and grill for 2-3 minutes.
3. Now move the mixture into a Thai mortar and pound them to a pulp, you may find it better to pulp the garlic, onion and chillies first, if the mushrooms are quite soft.
4. Add the fish sauce, lemon juice and toasted sticky rice to the mortar and pound 2-3 times more to blend them.
5. Put into a serving bowl and garnish with chopped spring onion and chopped coriander leaves.
6. This is great to eat as finger food with sticky rice, you can take some stick rice in your hands and dip it into the mix, taking some of the mushroom pulp to eat.
Small Green Aubergines