This makes a nice starter setting up the flavours of a coming meal. The main three flavours are seafood, a bitter taste from the melon and spicy chicken. I find it's nicer to present it with the prawns coiled up into the melon slices.
40 gms Bitter Melon
30 gms Chicken
2 Garlic Cloves
20 gms Chopped Onion
20 gms Dried Flaked Chillies
1 Tablespoon Chilli Paste
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
2 Tablespoons Oil
1. Clean and slice the bitter melon. You should remove the inner seeds as they are too bitter to eat. Arrange them on a plate small enough to fit in your steamer.
2. Clean, shell, and take out the black thread of the prawns, leave the tail on for presentation. Coil the prawns into the slices of melon as in the photograph.
3. Place the plate in the steamer and steam the prawns and melon for 5 minutes.
4. For the centre we will make Nam Prick (spicy chicken sauce).
5. In a blender, mix the chicken with the garlic, onion, flaked chillies, chilli paste, salt, sugar, lemon juice and fish sauce.
6. Blend to form a course mince.
7. Preheat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the mix until the chicken is cooked through. Spoon this into the middle of the prawn plate and serve.
Thai Fragrant Rice