These parcels are made from fried pork and herbs, wrapped in a pastry made from steamed rice flour and starch and served with a sweet and sour sauce. The pastry is cooked separately from the filling and it's very different from the cooking methods you may be use to. The actual pastry mix is liquid when uncooked. In order to cook it, you need to tie a cheese cloth or clean handkerchief tightly stretched over the top of a pan of water. The pan is then put on the heat, the water boils, and the steam rises through the cloth. The liquid pastry is poured onto the cheese cloth with a ladle and the ladle used to spread the mixture over the cloth. It cooks very quickly due to the steam and can be peeled off. The aluminum pan from a Thai Steamer is perfect for this.
Ingredients for Pastry (Makes 15)
75 gms Cassava Starch (or Corn Starch)
140 gms Rice Flour
1 Teaspoon Sugar
350 ml Water
Equipment for Making Pastry
String to Cloth With
Ingredients for Filling
100 gms Pork Mince
40 gms Coriander Leaves
40 gms Spring Onion
1 Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
2 Tablespoons Maggi Sauce (Savory seasoning sauce)
2 Tablespoons Oil
1. Oil a frying pan, add the garlic, pork, spring onion, chopped coriander leaves and Maggi sauce.
2. Fry until the pork is cooked, and set it aside.
3. Half fill a steaming pan with water, cover with a cheese-cloth and tie the cloth so that it is tight and flat over the top of the pan. Put the pan onto heat to boil.
4. Mix the rice flour with the cassava starch, water and sugar to form the liquid pastry.
5. When the pan is boiling, ladle some of the flour mix onto the cloth and spread it around quickly using the ladle. Place a lid over the pastry and let it cook for a minute.
6. Spoon some of the filling mixture onto the centre of the pastry and fold the edges over to form a parcel around the meat. A spatula is useful to fold the pastry over. Once you've done that you can move it to a plate.
Ingredients for Sweet Sour Dipping Sauce
4 Tablespoon Sugar
30 ml Water
70ml Tamarind Water or Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Spring Onion
2 Teaspoon Chopped Crushed Peanuts
1. Mix the tamarind water with the sugar, salt, and water put it on a meduim heat until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
2. Add the spring onion and peanut in and leave it to cool. It should be served warm.