The red sauce is made from the same ingredient used to give barbeque pork it's red colour & taste - Thai teriyaki seasoning. Here I've used it with duck, since duck is a heavier meat that goes well with the taste. I use to work in a restaurant and this was a favorite among farangs (western foreigners).
400 gms Duck Breast
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Orange Juice
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
Preparation for Duck
1. Clean and score the duck on the meat side, but not the skin side.
2. Into a saucepan, combine the salt, sugar, light soy sauce, orange juice, lemon juice and butter. Heat until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
3. Pour this over the duck and leave to marinade overnight.
4. Grill or oven at 170 degree until cooked, approximately 20-30 minutes.
Ingredients for The Red Sauce
1 Tablespoon Thai Teriyaki Powder
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Sauce
30 gms Tamarind Pulp
50 ml Water
1 Teaspoon Corn Flour
1. Squeeze the tamarind in the water to make it brown and release the bitter tamarind taste.
2. Put just the water part of the tamarind mix (sieve out the pulp) into a sauce pan over a medium heat.
3. Add the salt, sugar, and teriyaki powder in and cook until the sugar and sale have dissolved.
4. Mix the corn flour with 3 tablespoons of water and stir into the sauce to thicken it.
5. When its thick, pour it over the duck breast.