I might add this to a fake food category, since we like fake food in Thailand. These are spring rolls, filled with rice and crab sticks to look like sushi. (If you speak Thai, visit kruaklaibaan.com where the original idea for this recipe is).
200 gms Fragrant Rice
3 Tablespoons Light Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Vinegar or Saki
1 Tablespoon Sugar
Seaweed Paper ( Nori )
Spring Roll Papers
1 Egg Yolk
1. Mix the fragrant rice, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar together and leave for 5 minutes.
2. If you have a sushi matt to help you roll it up, lay that down, a cloth also works as does greaseproof paper.
3. Lay down the rice paper, then the seaweed paper, then spread the rice over it thinly. Add a little courgettes along one edge, about 2cms in from the side. Lay a line of crap sticks along the same edge.
4. Roll up the matt, tuck in the ends of the roll, since this will be fried, the ends need sealed too.
5. Spread a little egg yolk along the final edge. This will help you seal the roll.
6. Heat the oil to 180 degrees celsius, and deep fry the rolls until they are brown and crunchy.
Sweet Chicken Sauce or Plum Sauce